Formation of Felchlin

1908: The trained businessman Max Felchlin began to trade with honey in Schwyz, thereby laying the foundation of his company. After five years he called it “Honey center Schwyz” and the first factory was built on the Franzosenstrasse, Seewen in 1920.

The chapter chocolate

1923: The golden 20’s! Max Felchlin reacted and extended his product range. In addition to honey he now traded in baking powder, cacao, chocolate and cacao butter. The close relationship between chocolate and the Felchlins begins, his clients are mainly bakers and pastry cooks.

1924: Max Felchlin created the artificial honey “Herbst 1924” (Autumn) based on herbs. It is the first article that the company Max Felchlin produced themselves. “Herbst 1924” wasn’t true to its name and proved not only to be for autumn, as it is still in the current assortment.

1926: “Honor Swiss production…buy Swiss products!” This was the slogan that Max Felchlin used to promote his products in the confectioners newspaper. Even then he placed value in Swiss quality – this distinguished him from the dominant foreign competition.

New location and products

1928: Max Felchlin moved family and company to a new location – the newly built villa “Liebwylen” between Schwyz and Seewen. The stately villa still serves today as the headquarters of Max Felchlin AG.

1937: Company president Max Felchlin is a gifted inventor. He created a new novel “Praline- and Nougat mass” and called it “Pralinosa”. Still popular amongst bakers and pastry chefs, it is a sought after sales item.

Double thanks

1941: A time of adversity as well as a time of appreciation. Max Felchlin established the “Max Felchlin trust for employees”. The staff thanked him with a plaque in “Liebwylen”, which now is above the entrance of the door at the head office: “Der Geist, aus dem wir handlen, ist das Höchste” (The spirit in which we act is the highest matter) Goethe 1943: The Second World War shook Europe. In Schwyz Max Felchlin created the cream powder “Sowiso”. With it he was able to sweeten the harsh daily reality of war. “Sowiso” was produced in the former sugar storage building, the current Condirama.

Generation change

1962: Max Felchlin Junior takes over the company from his father. His backpack contained completed study at the business school in Kollegium Schwyz and extensive experience in leading an American company. He optimized sales and marketing as well as encouraging further education.

1964: Max Felchlin junior leased the Café Haug in Schwyz. He used the location to test new products and their effect on clients. The adventure ended with the cancellation of the lease in the late 1970’s.

1964: Max Felchlin junior is a whirl wind company director; he bubbled over with innovative ideas. He displayed vision when he purchased 11,000 square meters of industrial land for the company in Ibach. At the end of the year he can inaugurate the cooled storage area there.

1970: Max Felchlin senior dies from old age at 87. He established his company, brought it to bloom, steered it through 2 world wars and left it to his son. He remains in loving memory in Schwyz not only because of his company, but also due to his charity.

New markets

1973: Max Felchlin and his American wife Suzanne enjoy travelling and establishing business contacts. Due to their travels Japan and America become important export markets for Felchlin.

1974: The production in Seewen is overflowing, that is why Max Felchlin builds a new factory in Ibach. The company is changed into an open corporation and becomes Max Felchlin AG.

Further education

1988: Max Felchlin avidly supports further education. He established a center of further education for pastry chefs in the “Pudding-Haus” and called it “Condirama”. To this day bakers, pastry chefs and confectioners from around the world are able to further their education and attend courses in the Condirama.

Succession

1991: Max Felchlin organizes his successor. He gives the “Verein zur Förderung der Wirtschaft und des Kulturschaffens” (association to promote the economy and culture) the majority of shares. This association ensures the independence of the company. President of the Board of Administration is Heini Brugger, CEO is Christian Aschwanden.

1992: Max Felchlin dies on the 18th July. Mourning is deep. He leaves a hole both in the company, that has lost an original patron and motivator, and in the area Schwyz, that lost an avid supporter of both culture and tradition.

The best of the world

1999: Felchlin defines their direction and places emphasis on the noblest types of cacao to develop the current Grand Cru product line. Their effort is rewarded in 2004 with the gold medal for the World’s Best Chocolate – Maracaibo Clasificado 65%.

2000: Felchlin moves into the new factory in Ibach. The company specializes in quality, not quantity. This strategy places high demands on raw ingredients, machines but most of all, its people.

100 years Felchlin

2008: Felchlin celebrates its 100th birthday with its clients: the bakers, pastry chefs and confectioners from around the world. Felchlin is also a reliable partner for the region Schwyz, where they have been at home for 100 years.

2012: Quality, flexibility and innovation characterize Felchlin. To ensure these qualities for future generations, building began on the new cacao roaster in autumn 2012. An investment of 15 million Swiss francs was committed to the building extensions including the new production machinery.